Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Yikes!

So, it's been a REALLY long time since I posted!  Since then, we've fostered - and adopted - 2 more children!  The change in the household has been dramatic and is settling down into a semi-organized state of chaos.  (Is that described as controlled chaos?)

Our newest change coming up:  We're in the final planning stages of homeschooling the boys.  While we're thankful for the education they've received and really love the wonderful teachers they've had in their lives, we can tailor our educational style to meet their individual needs and interests. We've been doing some since summer started, kind of a trial run; MangaMan and Exuberant Boy have both commented that they like the fact that there aren't as many distractions and MM said he feels he's learned more math in 2 weeks than he could at school - and we're just reviewing basics.

Due to their ADHD, we felt the smaller environment would help both MM and EB focus better (and from the above, you can see they think so too!).  MM and The Shining Smile have both expressed a great desire to learn very specific things.  (Computer programming and cinematography for one and research on almost everything under the sun for the other!)  We've already hooked up with 3 homeschool support groups, which I'm thrilled with.  We're getting to know the people from 2 of them as we have attended several events.  I've learned a lot from them in just a few short weeks; I'm confident this is the right route for us.  

However, like most parents, I constantly wonder if doing this is going to damage them irreparably or if they're going to hate us.  I think TSS, who was super excited about the possibility, will come back around after he gets over the "mom is actually going to make me do the work she assigns" blues.  MM was looking forward to middle school, but I feel strongly that it would be a huge mistake to send him there.  His teacher from the first half of 5th grade said it well - we don't want him to get lost in the cracks, and I'm certain that's what would happen.  (In three months' time, between the middle and elementary schools, his paperwork got lost three times!) EB is going back and forth. I think he wants to complain about it because that's what MM is doing, but I honestly believe he's secretly as excited as TSS was.

The Curious Child will be heading back to preschool, at least for the foreseeable future, which will give me time to work with the others three mornings a week.  (When I'm working, the other three will go to Nana's house, where she has offered to help in the teaching - whoo-hoo!)  

All right, that's all I have for now!  Now that I've remembered my blog, I promise to be more diligent about updating.

No comments: